Concept 2 Model D Review Summary
The most popular rowing machines used around the world, the Concept 2 Model D is a favourite of athletes, gyms, competitions and home users. It's basically the king of rowing machines.
The Concept 2 Model D is a full length rowing machine that uses airflow to create resistance. When you pull, the flywheel spins creating wind. The harder you pull the more wind it creates causing greater air resistance. If you slow your pulls, the air movement lessens and the resistance is less.
With an integrated computer, the Concept 2 records everything you do and the addition of a speed dampener setting on the flywheel means you can manually set your resistance levels too. In short, you’ll never need anything else for a full body workout.
- A professional level machine. Concept 2s are used in clubs, gyms and homes.
- Concept 2 PM5 monitor. Highly accurate and detailed mini computer that tracks everything from time, distance and stroke rate to calories burnt and workout routine.
- Exceptionally smooth. Experts love this for its smooth, flowing movement that’s very similar to that on the water.
- Splits in two. You don’t need a big space for this machine as it can be quickly split in two for storage.
- Has a pretty industrial look about it. There's no denying this is a robust piece of gym equipment and while it's the best piece of kit for your home, it's not lovely to look at.
- Pricey. Concept 2 create machines at the upper end of the rowing machine price spectrum.
- Quite noisy. Using air resistance, the Concept 2 Model D is pretty noisy. It's not ideal for terraced houses with thin walls and neighbours.
About the Brand
Folds and splits in two
274 cm x 122 cm
25 in x 33 in x 54 in (63.5 cm x 83.8 cm x 137.2 cm)
Recommended Usage Space
9 ft x 4 ft (274 cm x 122 cm)
5 year frame
The Best Rowing Machine of All Time
In this Concept 2 Model D review we’ll be looking at just why this famous rowing machine is so good and whether it really is worth the money. We’ll also be looking at how much you can achieve with this machine and how easy it is to keep track of your workouts and fitness levels.
The Concept 2 Model is an air resistance rowing machine and creates resistance as you pull. But it doesn’t just stop there.
Attached to the flywheel is a Spiral Damper that allows you to alter the air going into the flywheel. This allows you to further adjust the resistance as you see fit, to ensure you are always feeling exactly how you feel.
In this way, you are in 100% control of the resistance you get and the kickass workout you’ll complete.
Succeed with the PM5 Concept 2 Computer
The Concept 2 Model is the standard rowing machine for competitions and online rankings worldwide. The accuracy and the detailed data that the PM5 monitor collects means that athletes and home rowers from all over the world can download their data and upload it to the Concept 2 rankings website. This means you can compare your results to other users down to age and gender.
The PM5 Computer Features:
- Backlit. Easy to read.
- USB flash drive port. Download your results easily.
- USB-B for computer to monitor connection
- Wireless Bluetooth to connect to heart rate monitor
- Tracks: Distance, Stroke Rate, Time, Pace, Split times, Projected Metres, Average Pace
- Rowing workout games. Mix up the way you row and get into a game.
- Bar Chart. Shows your results and workouts in a new way.
- Paceboat. Just like if you were on the water.
- Force Curve. Shows how you apply force throughout your stroke.
The PM5 isn’t just great for sharing and online use, it also tracks your workouts, shows your results in various ways including bar graphs and enables you to instantly see your own improvement. It’s like a training buddy without the heckling.
Adjustable, Ergonomic and Completely Flexible to Your Needs
Every person is different. Different height, different weight, different strength, different style.
So how can it be that all professional rowers use the same Concept 2 Model D?
Because the Concept 2 Model D isn't the same.
With fully adjustable footstraps, an option for an extra-long rail and an angled ergonomic handle, the Concept 2 is built to suit the tallest rowers and the smallest rowers. You can adjust everything from where your feet go to where the monitor sits to give you the ultimate rowing experience.
Low profile and easy storage makes the Concept 2 Model D house friendly
While a home gym would be nice, not all of us have space to leave our rowing machines out all the time. But that’s not a problem with the Concept 2.
The Concept 2 Model D:
- Splits in two for easy storage. A quick release button means this takes mere moments.
- Folds vertically in two caster wheels and can be moved around on the wheels.
- Weighs just 26kg but with the wheels, you’ll never have to lift that weight
- Is very narrow to take up minimal space when fully assembled
- Low to the ground to take up less space.
If you want to get fit on the best possible equipment, it’s time to buy a Concept 2
There are no compromises with the Concept 2 which is fantastic, because you don’t want to compromise your fitness.
Buying a Concept 2 Model D means no more gym subscriptions, no more expensive PTs and no more excuses.